Monday, May 10, 2010

And Now, A Word From Our Sponsor...

Commercial Break
CLASSIC BOOMER COMMERCIALS

The other day, the old Henry Mancini theme for The Pink Panther movies began looping in my head. (Yeah, these things happen all the time once you're on this side of the hill). So I hummed along, "Doo doo doo doo, do do, doo do doo do doo doo..."

"What's that?" my daughter asked.

"The Pink Panther song," I told her. Then the words of the old ad came back to me:

"Pink panther flakes are pink and sweet as you can tell
The color of pink tickles me pink."

Pink Panther Flakes, the cereal introduced by Post in 1973  to coincide with the feline's Saturday morning cartoon, were actually frosted flakes with a pink coating which turned the milk in our cereal bowl pink. I remember the commercial in more detail than the actual cereal, and I found it on YouTube to appease my curious child:




So I got to thinking about the other commercials of my youth, back in the day when we couldn't TIVO the show and fast-forward through the advertising. Remember the Frito Bandito?



How about when Hawaiian Punch was downright violent?



And this ad for Good N Plenty must be one of my earliest memories...I remember it distinctly, yet it ran in the very early '60's:



What are the favorite commercials of your youth? We'll revisit this topic later, so let me know what you'd like to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment