Sunday, February 1, 2009

Welcome to the Boom Boom Room



They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I just learned something new this week. This ol' pup found out that I'm a part of "Generation Jones," a subset of the Baby Boomers who were born late in the game. We're boomers by definition - that is, we were born between 1946 and 1964. But while the more illustrious members of our generation were celebrating free love at Woodstock, we were drinking down our Bosco and watching "H.R. Pufnstuff".

Well, no matter what subset you belong too, if you're a boomer, you're not a kid any more. Just yesterday we were reading "
16" and watching "The Brady Bunch"; now our mailboxes are full of subscription cards for AARP and we reminisce about "thirtysomething." But this site isn't just a rehash of "The Wonder Years"....nor is it the latest marketing ploy for a retirement fund. It's just one person's memories, one person's plans, one person's acknowledgment that hey, we were here, and we still are, and what happened in between meant something to us."

One thing I plan to do here is to have an ongoing series on "This Date In Boomer History." At the top of these posts, I'll be sharing what memorable thing happened on this date. Then I'll be sharing what it means to me in retrospect. So if a date was "Ann B. Davis' birthday" or "Sherwood Schwartz's first film opens," it may end up reading the same....something about how I felt about the Brady Bunch, and how I still say "Pork chops and applesauce" in that Peter-Bogey voice. Because these are my memories - though some of you may share them. Others may not. Your mileage may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment